Friday, June 29, 2012

Square One Taurus IPA tasting

Mrs. Absalom and I are just about halfway through the middle of a cross-country road trip that has already taken us through one-fifth of the Union, with more to come.  Some quick tasting notes from the road are in order, however, from the brewpub of Square One Brewery and Distillery in St. Louis, which we visited on Br. Abelard's suggestion.  The food was well prepared and tasty, and their American pale ale slipped down my throat faster than I could believe.  Intrigued by the current offering in their single-hop IPA series, featuring a varietal about which I've never heard--unsurprising given its incredible scarcity--I took a few notes as I went.


Date - 27 June 2012

Venue - Square One brewpub

==========

Appearance - Glowing orange, a little murky, wispy head that drops after a minute.

Smell - Very light; initially I couldn't smell it over the plate of wings that had just arrived!  A little malt, lightly herbal.

Taste - Even maltiness and almost light orange on the front, followed by a solid herbal bitterness with a little lingering spice.  It wraps up quickly, without a long aftertaste.  The bitterness is balanced very well; it doesn't taste anywhere near the purported 85+ IBUs.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, light carbonation; very fitting.

Overall - A solid, satisfying beer, though certainly not what's always expected as an IPA.  Wish I got more from this unique hop, which was very delicate and had a hard time getting across.  While good, I'd have probably preferred another of the APA to another of this.  Either way, I'd love to get back to this excellent, inviting brewpub sooner rather than later.

-Br. Absalom


No comments:

Post a Comment